The Municipal Hospital of Braunschweig is a maximum care hospital with a huge number of medical departments, which cover virtually the entire treatment spectrum.
In order to cope with the significance of cancer and the numerous and often combined treatment approaches connected with it, close collaboration with other departments is of great importance. For this purpose, we regularly hold interdisciplinary tumor conferences in which treatment strategies of individual patients are discussed.
The connection with neurosurgery at Salzdahlumer Straße is one of the main treatment foci of our clinic for, among other things, the treatment of malignant neoplasms of the brain. In cooperation with the Otolaryngology Clinic, the tumors of the head and neck region are treated. With the help of the whole body irradiation, patients are prepared for stem cell transplantation.
The department is a member of the certified Breast Centers of Braunschweig and Gifhorn. Therefore, the treatment of breast cancer / breast carcinoma is another focus of our clinic. The treatment of gynecological and urological tumors is also carried out in close cooperation with the Urological and Gynecological Clinics.
We also focus on the pediatric oncology (= the treatment of children and adolescents with cancer) and on the treatment of tumors of the gastrointestinal tract (gastrointestinal tumors), our clinic is a member of the Intestinal Center of Gifhorn.
The clinic's range of services includes:
- The conformal 3D planned irradiation therapy of malignant formations in organs and tissues, of system diseases, as well as benign degenerative joint diseases and chronic inflammatory processes in joints and surrounding tissue.
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Intensity-modulated rotational beam therapy (RapidArc)
- Image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT)
- Respiratory gating
- Stereotaxy of lung tumors or metastases
- Whole body irradiation prior to autologous stem cell transplantation
- The large-scale irradiation of lymphomas
- Amalgamation with MRI or PET-CT to clarify the irradiation treatment
- Simultaneous administration of chemotherapy and irradiation treatment (radio-chemotherapy)
- Supportive therapy of tumor-related symptoms or side effects of chemotherapy or irradiation therapy
- Brachytherapy of tumors of the female genital tract (brachytherapy is the irradiation of a malignant tumor performed by its direct contact with a radiation source)
- Interstitial brachytherapy of prostate carcinoma
- Psychooncological accompaniment by a psychologist and an art therapist to help the patient manage the disease develop new perspectives