LASIK Eye Surgery
LASIK Eye Surgery is one of the most popular techniques of refractive surgery, which involves reshaping the curvature of the cornea to correct vision problems and allow patients to get rid of wearing eyeglasses and lenses. The full name of the procedure is Laser assisted in-situ keratomileusis. It first appeared in 90-s of 20th century and partially replaced another refractive surgery Photorefractive keratectomy which is also still used in Germany and our Eye Clinic of Braunschweig.
Conditions Are Treated with LASIK
LASIK eye surgery is a procedure to correct refractive errors to improve the vision. Refractive errors occur due to a changing of the shape of the eyeball which causes wrong focusing of light on the retina. Depending on how light focus is shifted people may experience the following vision problems:
- Nearsightedness (myopia). It is happens because of too much curvature of the crystalline lens or cornea (too long eyeball). People with myopia can see clearly near sight and have blurred vision trying focusing on distant objects.
- Farsightedness (hyperopia). With farsighted vision people experience opposite problem: them cannot read or see clearly close objects do not experience any difficulties seeing distant objects.
- Astigmatism. The eye focuses light unevenly that results in effect when a person see in some directions clearly but in certain directions has blurred vision.
- Presbyopia is difficulty of seeing close objects as result of reduced flexibility of the crystalline lens with aging.
LASIK eye surgery treats very well the first three conditions but presbyopia is difficult to correct as it has different nature than others refractive errors, although some technical advances allow to treat this condition also. You can read this below.
The Types of LASIK Eye Surgery
Initially, there was the only LASIK technique but with further development some improvement and advances have appeared. Currently, we could name the following types of LASIK Eye Surgery used in Germany:
LASIK eye surgery involves reshaping of the cornea with laser to adjust light focus in the eyes. This operation does not require anesthesia but only drops.
With traditional technique an ophthalmologist performs a flap in the cornea using a tool named microkeratome. This is a manual operation. After that the flap is peeled back to open access the stroma (inner layer of the cornea) and, then, it is possible to make a correction with an excimer laser. A correction is removing of microscopic portions of the cornea to reshape it in desired way.
After finishing the procedure a doctor accurately closes the flap; the operation does not involve stitching as the cornea heals naturally.
It is the same LASIK Eye surgery as previous but a flap is cut with femtosecond laser.
In FLEx (Femtosecond Lenticule Extraction) technique, femtosecond laser is used both to open access to the inner cornea and to perform operation. It is something in between of traditional LASIK and a relatively new method ReLex Smile which does not involve a flap cutting. In FLEx a lenticule cut in the strome by femtosecond laser. The other stages of the operation are the same.
Wavefront guided LASIK
Wavefront guided LASIK is not different from standard LASIK eye surgery but it included advanced examination which allows accurate of all the eye parameters to design pre-calculated individual plan of the surgery, which helps to avoid complication due to the aberrations.
Presby LASIK is a procedure for presbyopia which is relatively new and not studied well but a number of patients reported improvement.
The advantages of LASIK Eye surgery
There are no strict indications to LASIK as considered that you may correct your vision with spectacles or lenses and only a patient’s wish is a cause to undertake Lasik Eye surgery. In Germany the number of LASIK operation has been increasing year after year. The surgery has obvious benefits:
- High success rate – 95-98%
- Quick and easy procedure
- Does not require anesthesia
- Low eye damage, no stitches
Complications after LASIK Surgery
Serious vision treating problems are extremely rare; loss of vision is register in 1 case of 2000 surgeries. Among the other complications:
- High-order aberrations. It is a condition when patients may see halos, hosts etc.
- Eye dryness. It can last for 2-3 months after surgery. Artificial tear relieves the condition.
- Flap complications
Find Your Doctor in Germany
To see world clear has become easier with LASIK Eye surgery. Apply for your treatment in Germany in Eye Clinic of Braunschweig. We will examine your eyes and advise your tailored treatment of your vision problems.