Cataract Surgery Recovery
Cataract operation is considered to be safe and easy and rarely have complications. Almost 95% of all patients who had cataract surgery have improved their vision and become able to see clearly. Nevertheless, to make the process of cataract surgery recovery smoother and get rid of possible side effects you should follow recommendations of your attending physician. We in the Clinic of Braunschweig, Germany advise our patient to keep some simple rule for better cataract surgery recovery. In Germany we are committed to idea of safety before the other advantages of treatment; that is why successful and quick recovery of our patient is a part of our medical prestige.
After Cataract Surgery
If meant ability to move, take care of yourself and perform different life activities saying “cataract surgery recovery”, you will be ready to go home and do whatever you want in a half of hour after your operation. Cataract operations are usually done on outpatient basic and do not require special procedures after cataract surgery. But it does not mean there are no nuances and rules to follow.
What you could expect shortly after cataract surgery?
- You need a rest after surgery from 20 minutes to 1 hour to let the effect of anesthesia to go away.
- You need someone to drive your home as you should not drive yourself.
- Your eye will be covered with a protective patch to keep it away from infections.
- You may experience vision distortions as cloudy or wavy vision. That is normally and will pass in a few hours.
- You may have eye redness because of damaging of the blood vessels during operation. That is also temporary.
- You may feel itching in your eyes. It will not last longer than 1-2 days.
- You may feel dryness in your eyes. You will be prescribed eye drops.
- You may need pain cutters for a few days but that is individually. Normally, it does not hurt much.
- The colors may appear brighter, which is result of your new clear vision. You will get used soon.
Cataract surgery recovery time varies individually. Some patients can see clearly already in the same day with the surgery but other needs longer time for that.
A few weeks after cataract operation
In the first week or even more you need to keep some rules for better cataract surgery recovery.
- Wear your protective patch most of the time. It is transparent and you can see through it.
- Do not drive before your first examination with your doctor (normally a next day after the operation).
- Restrain from heavy lifting and energetic exercising, do not bend.
- Avoid water splashing into your eyes and close your eye when bathing. Do not swim in the pool.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes.
- Try not to sneeze, if it is possible.
- Avoid watching TV or work on your computer too much.
- Walk carefully and keep you away of any potentially traumatic activities.
- Do not expose yourself to dust and other flying substances.
- Use sunglasses to protect your eyes from bright sun.
In case of uncomplicated cataract surgery recovery, in 2-3 weeks you will have completely restored bright sight and you can come to your doctor to check if you need eyeglasses prescription. The complications occur not more than in 5% of all the surgeries, but if you have any evidence that something goes wrong with your eyes, do not delay a visit to your doctor.
Complications after the Cataract Operation
Your cataract surgery recovery goes wrong, if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Increasing redness in your eyes
- Persistent pain which does not go away when you use light painkillers
- You see light flashes
- You have spots in your sight
- You cannot see
If you have any of the above signs, you should see your doctor immediately. Among possible complications you could name:
- Endophthalmitis, or interior inflammation in the eye.
- Posterior capsular opacification (condition when vision becomes blurred after the cataract operation). You will need another laser surgery to fix it.
- Retinal detachment.
- Displacement of intraocular lens (normally as result of the trauma).
- Vision loss.
In clinic of Braunschweig in Germany we do our best to avoid complications during cataract surgery recovery but it is rather unpredictable. The most number of complications happens in people who have more than one progressing eye disease and some other health issues, e.g. diabetes or hypertension.
Advice of German Doctors
If you need a consultation on your cataract operation or cataract surgery recovery, please call us to make an appointment. Our Eye Clinic is one of the best in Germany; we are the teaching hospital of the Hannover Medical School. Our eye experts know everything about eye disease and will give you careful examination and advise proper treatment. We have four modern eye lasers for different type of eye surgery. Please apply for the treatment in Germany.